Preparing for field tripsWe usually have two series of fossil collecting field trips in the summer. If you are only planning to attend our all-ages field trips then you can ignore the check-list, although eye protection and hard-hats must still be worn at all times in areas where people are splitting rocks.
== Checklist for quarry-based field trips (Age 16+ only) ==
(1) You must have:
- An SA certified hard hat
- A high contrast safety vest
- CSA/SA certified steel-toed boots
- Some form of eye protection
Optional: A water bottle and a broad rimmed hat are highly recommended! A wide variety of tools can be used for splitting rocks - an old table knife is often particularly useful.
(2) If you are not currently a member, you will be asked to pay for a membership during the field trip.
The membership helps cover insurance costs and is good for the whole year ($25 for family, $20 for individuals, $15 for students).
(3) Eye protection must be worn at all times when in working areas (e.g. if someone is splitting rocks nearby). Be ready to follow the instructions of the field trip leader and be aware of your surroundings.
(4) Be familiar with section 4 of the Code of Conduct: http://www.paleo.ca//index.php?page=rules
If you need advice about obtaining equipment - please feel free to get in touch with us!