Fall 2021 youth contest

Important!
Posted
Rating:
#64 (In Topic #34)
Forum moderator
Jonas WG is in the usergroup ‘Moderators’
Message from President Delgado:

I know that this is a very challenging time and I have not been able to organize an activity where young members be able to participate. I would like to change this a little bit by inviting young members 16 years old and under to participate in the EONS/SPO Contest to answer the set of 20 questions.

The young EONS members can work with a parent or a friend as a team member. The winning submissions will be those that accumulate more points (one per question). There will be initially three prizes for the entries. The deadline to submit the answers is November 30, 2021. Everyone else is also invited to submit their answers. Hope that you have fun! The contest is now expanded so that kids up to 16 years old may participate. This is in consideration that they cannot join our outings at quarries. I hope that you have fun. Please let me know if you have any questions.

EONS/SPO’s Contest

1. What was the name of the ancient sea that once covered Ottawa?

1. What is the most common kind of fossil that can be found in the National Capital Region?

1. It is difficult to find this animal complete and its name suggests that the body is divided in three parts. What animal am I referring to?

1. The classification of some fossils (phylum or family) suggests the animals had a “hedgehog skin” or “prickly skin”. What is the phylum in question?

1. Worried about bacteria? We can breathe today the air thanks to the cyanobacteria. Slowly over eons they transformed the atmosphere. There is an important site in Quebec, near the Champlain Bridge, where you could go and admire them. What are these fossils called?

1. A cephalopod, a bivalve and a gastropod are all related. What is their classification?

1. Crinoids are beautiful fossils that are also extremely hard to find complete. One usually finds the broken pieces (small little circles). In the 1800s people thought that they were plants. How did they call these fossils?

1. The fossils in the Ottawa area have been researched and described extensively by the first woman to become the head of the Geological Survey of Canada back in the 1940s. A park in Kanata North honours her memory. What is her name?

1. The fossils from the Billings Formation in Ottawa are found in a fine-grained black shale. If you are lucky, you can find a pyritized trilobite. What does the black colour in the shale tell you?

1. Where was Ottawa positioned in the world back in the Ordovician? Near what line?

1.  What is the name of one of the rocks where the Ordovician fossils are found? Part of the name refers to a fruit.

1. What does the club’s English acronym refer to?

1. The fossils left after the last ice age are commonly referred to as fossils from what sea?

1. What can be considered the top predator in the Ordovician times? If you find part of its body, there may be some trilobites around.

1. One of the trilobite orders refers to an animal that has teeth on its back. What is this order?

1. In what kind of rock can fossils be commonly found?

1. What is the range of time that we talk about when we refer to Ordovician fossils?

1.  What are the kinds of rocks, according to their origin, that we can find in nature?

1. Some of the animals that we find fossilized used to live individually, but others lived in colonies. One of them is considered a reef builder, classified under the subclass of the Anthozoa. What kind of animal am I referring to?

1. These animals had shells and crawled the sea floor. One part of its name refers our tummies and the other refers to feet. What kind of animal am I referring to?
Important!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.